Budgets and Budget Justifications
Proposal budgets and budget justifications are the financial road maps of sponsored projects. When thoughtfully and strategically built they become an indispensable key to effective post-award management. However, when those road maps are not constructed with a strong understanding of where one is going - or the real-world logistics of getting there - it can result in a high degree of post-award frustration. Below are templates and resource links to help you build successful budgets and budget justifications.
Questions? Concerns? Contact the Client Advocacy & Education team. We're here to help!
Helpful Links for Common Budget Categories
- OBI Financial Reporting Payroll and Labor Management (PLM) Reports
- Stanford Post doc Funding Guidelines
- Graduate Student Assistantship Salary Rates and Tuition Allowances
- Oracle Financials -> Stanford iProcurement - For supply quotes
- OBI Financial Reporting - For historical supply spending data
- Oracle Financials -> Stanford iProcurement - For equipment quotes
- California Partial Exemption for Sales & Use Taxes for Research & Development Equipment
California affords partial exemption from sales and use taxes at the rate of 3.9375 percent from January 1, 2017, to June 30, 2022 for research and development equipment purchases. Qualifying purchases must pay the remaining state tax and local and district taxes. Thus, the current (FY21) tax rate for research and development equipment purchases is 5.0625% in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.