Have you ever inherited a portfolio and needed to orient yourself?
Have you ever needed to determine what the sponsor originally awarded?
Have you ever wondered why a particular action was taken on a sponsored research project in your portfolio?
The Stanford Electronic Research Administration (SeRA) system is here to support you!
SeRA Project History
SeRA stores a wealth of sponsored research information that can be leveraged to facilitate with many departmental sponsored research inquiries and data needs.
The Project History section of SeRA can be a valuable resource to review how a project was originally proposed, awarded, and how it has changed over time. The Project History page shows all of the project activities which have happened in SeRA. This includes all proposals, awards, account setups, and central office requests. It also includes other actions initiated by institutional officials (IOs).
If you are new to supporting a portfolio it is generally very helpful (and recommended) for each active awarded project to review the award transactions in SeRA and associated documents received to date from the sponsor to see what are the terms and conditions for the award (and how they may have changed over time), how much rebudgeting latitude we have, when and for what we need to seek and/or have sought sponsor prior approval, are there any reporting requirements that are above and beyond the norm etc. i.e. to identify the “rules” for the project and any administrative “gotchas”.
Let’s Do This!
- Log into SeRA. From the red banner at the top of any page click on Search and then search for and select the relevant SPO # or award alpha
- From the Project Summary page click on History in the left-hand navigation menu
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the first award transaction for the project. For projects that have been ongoing for some time you may need to navigate through several pages of transactions or expand the number of transactions viewable per page to get back to the very beginning of the project. Click on the blue award transaction ID.
- From within any award transaction click on the view NOA option in the left-hand navigation menu. This will open the Stanford Notice of Award where you can review a summarized version of the award’s terms and conditions
- To review any documents received from the sponsor for the award transaction scroll down through the Stanford NOA to the Attachments section.
- ORA website’s SeRA and Cayuse User Guides and Resources webpage – Step-by-step SeRA user guides for most system functionalities – perfect for those that prefer self-directed learning
- ORA’s Client Advocacy & Education Team – We’re here to help!
Need further SeRA assistance? Have questions, feedback, or are experiencing system issues? Please submit a HelpSU ticket to the SeRA Support Team by clicking HERE, and a SeRA Support Analyst will contact you shortly.