Cardinal Curriculum Training
Cardinal Curriculum is Stanford's foundational research administration training program. The Cardinal Curriculum program is divided into two certificate programs: Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 and Cardinal Curriculum Level 2. Individuals must complete the Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 Program to be able to register for and complete the Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 Program.
The Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 Program courses introduce the basic practices and principles of research administration. The courses should be completed within 6 months of hire into a position that involves research administration.
The Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 Program courses introduce the practices and applicable policies related to submitting proposals and administering sponsored projects. Administrators working regularly in research administration are strongly encouraged to earn a Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 Certificate.
Cardinal Curriculum Level 1
Register for the Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 : ORA-PROG-1001 Program in STARS and then complete the 3 Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 courses to receive your Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 Certificate.
- Understanding Cost Policy – ORA 1101 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Overview of Research and the Regulatory Environment - ORA-1102 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Overview of Research and the Regulatory Environment Companion Workshop - ORA-1103 – Live Zoom Webinar Enroll
Cardinal Curriculum Level 2
After completing the Cardinal Curriculum Level 1 Program, register for the Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 : ORA-PROG-2002 Program in STARS and then complete the 6 Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 required courses in addition to 2 elective courses to receive your Cardinal Curriculum Level 2 Certificate.
Complete all 6 Required CC 2 Courses & Workshops:
- Proposal and Budget Preparation - ORA-1120 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Proposal Preparation Companion Workshop - ORA-1501 – Live Zoom Webinar* Enroll
- Budget Preparation Companion Workshop - ORA-1502 – Live Zoom Webinar** Enroll
- Award Process - ORA-1121 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Award Process Companion Workshop ORA-1504 – Live Zoom Webinar Enroll
- Managing Sponsored Projects - ORA-1126 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
Complete 2 Elective Courses & Workshops
- Gift Administration ORA–1128 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Overview of Stanford Service Center Policies & Practices ORA-1125 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Subawards ORA-1122 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Subaward from Proposal to Requisition Workshop ORA-1503A – Live Zoom webinar Enroll
- Subaward Management Workshop ORA-1503B – Live Zoom webinar Enroll
- Expenditure Statement Reconciliation and Review FIN-0160 – Web (self-paced) Enroll
- Grants.gov Fellowship Sessions DOR-1218 - Live Zoom webinar Enroll
- Grants.gov NIH K Award Labs DOR-1219 - Live Zoom workshop Enroll
Once you have enrolled in any workshop, please add the date and time to your calendar. You will receive an email reminder the day before the workshop with the Zoom meeting ID information after enrollment for the workshop is closed.
In addition to the Cardinal Curriculum, ORA also offers the ORA Webinar series that includes over 20 "How to" Zoom Webinars on Core Sponsored Research Administration Topics with Live Q&A. ORA Webinars do not require pre-requisites or registration.
* ORA-1501 Workshop is equivalent to ORA Webinar “Proposal Preparation & Development Best Practices: Part 2 Navigating Common Pitfalls”. Must enroll to receive CC credit
** ORA-1502 Workshop is equivalent to ORA Webinar “How to Create a Proposal Budget that Makes Award Administration a Snap!”) Must enroll to receive CC credit.
Tim Leung, Director, Client Advocacy & Education
Megan Dietrich, Assistant Director, Client Advocacy & Education