Most sponsors require investigators and project key personnel to provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or biographical sketch as part of a proposal. Many sponsors request biosketches be provided to them that adhere to the format specified by either the National Institutes of Health, or the National Science Foundation, or a variant of one of these. Given different sponsors request this information in different formats, it is highly important to always closely review and adhere to each sponsor’s specific CV or biosketch requirements when preparing these. Below are links to the current NIH and NSF guidance on their biosketch requirements.
- Implementation Changes to the Biographical Sketch and Other Support Format Page - Use of the updated format pages specified in NIH NOT-OD-21-073 is not required until January 25, 2022 - Notice NOT-OD-21-110 (Updated 4/28/21)
- NIH Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions and Samples
- The NIH is implementing the Common Forms (Biosketch and Current and Pending (Other) Support) in a phased approach as part of Forms I.
- Estimated Timeline:
- Common Forms Implementation: January 2025
- SciENcv templates available: May 2025
- Estimated Timeline:
- Reminder: Until the Common Forms are fully adopted by NIH, NIH requests applicants and recipients use the current NIH Biosketch and Other Support formats for applications, Just-in-Time (JIT) Reports, and RPPRs.
- NSF Biosketch Instructions PAPPG NSF 23-1 - for use with proposals and project reports submitted or due on or after January 30, 2023
- NSF Proposal & Award Policy and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) NSF 24-1 - Effective for proposals submitted or due on or after May 20, 2024 - Implements required use of the Common Forms (Biosketch and Current and Pending (Other) Support)
- SciENcv Guidance on Creating a NSF Biosketch
- YouTube Video: SciENcv for NSF Biosketch
- NSF webinars covers use of NSF-Approved formats and other significant changes to PAPPG
- NSF Policy-related questions should be directed to email@example.com
- NSF Technical or IT system-related questions about NSF fillable PDF formats - contact the NSF Help Desk at 1-800-673-6188 or firstname.lastname@example.org